Do you sometimes feel stuck in a rut at work? Are opportunities for advancement passing you by? Have you considered looking for a new position, but feel that your knowledge and skills may be a bit rusty? It’s time to upskill!
Upskilling involves the active pursuit of obtaining new skills or qualifications. Whether you are looking to move forward in your current career or explore a new career altogether, upskilling will give you the important tools you need to stand out in the crowd!
The benefits of upskilling:
- Developing new skills and showing an eagerness to learn makes you more attractive to current and prospective employers. Companies love employees who show that they are eager to learn and grow!
- Staying relevant and up-to-date in your field can protect your position in your company as well as possibly open up new opportunities. Explore qualifications and certifications in your industry that will make you attractive to both current and future employers.
- More skills often translate into being able to ask for a higher salary. Going above and beyond your current role within a company and showing that you are capable of more increases your value to your employer; something they just might be willing to pay more for!
- Upskilling may give you a professional edge. If an employer is considering multiple people for a position, the fact that you’ve recently obtained new skills may just put you ahead of the competition!
- Training can often introduce you to new careers or fields of interest – and you may meet others in the industry in your classes. These relationships can help you in the future whenever you need to bounce an idea off of another professional, or when you are considering a career change.
Employees and employers alike should be committed to continual learning. Discuss learning opportunities with your management. Perhaps they will offer to pay for all or part of your training. Or perhaps they’ll institute a company-wide program to bring all employees up to date. Being proactive and forward thinking is a plus with any organization!
Successful professionals know that it’s important to continuously expand their skill set. Invest in your personal and professional development today with Ed4Career!